Artweaver is a Windows Freeware program to simulate natural brush tools. It is therefore suitable to leave your creativity free run. Artweaver offers you a clear program window, which can be used without training immediately.
- Support of many different digital brushes e.g. chalk, charcoal, pencils...
- A wide variety of adjustment settings to customize the default brushes or to create new brushes.
- Standard image editing tools like gradient, crop, fill and selection tools.
- Support for the most common file formats like AWD (Artweaver), BMP, GIF, JPEG, PCX, TGA, TIFF, PNG, and PSD (no layer support).
- Transparency and Layers support.
- Effect filters like sharpen, blur, emboss and mosaic.
- Editable text layers.
- Pen Tablet support for a realistic feeling.
- History function to und/redo last editing steps.
- Expandable by Plug-In modules (Artweaver Standard).
- Support for many languages through language files.
Artweaver is a free painting and drawing program for Windows that will look very familiar to anyone who has used Photoshop or Painter in the past. Artweaver features a number of natural media brushes and tools such as chalk, pencils, charcoal, oil paint, felt markers, crayons, airbrushes, acrylic, sponges, pastels, and cloners. Each brush has a number of attributes that can be adjusted for even more variety. In addition, Artweaver offers a solid set of general image manipulation and enhancement tools. It features a text tool, layers, layer groups, blending modes, selections, image adjustments for tweaking color and tone, as well as a number of filters such as blur, sharpen, noise, distort, texture, and so on.
Artweaver doesn't have quite the sophistication as a tool like Corel Painter; for instance, paints don't mix together and blend like real paint, and it doesn't have watercolor layers that can stay wet between sessions, but for a free program, it offers quite a lot. And in some ways it even outshines Corel Painter Essentials, the home-user version of Painter IX.
The developer is constantly updating the software and there is a user forum where you can make suggestions and ask questions directly to the developer.